Monday, March 2, 2015

ANSWER ABOUT BAG CONSTRUCTION

This post is in answer to Trish at Love of Quilts....She would like the pattern for my huge bag....well Trish I hate to tell you but there is no written pattern...

I had 'brick' rectangles from all the gfg quilt strip ends so I just decided how big I wanted this bag and went from there...you can make the bricks any size as long as the measurement comes out the size you want for the bag....Along the way I decided I wanted a border at the top and the bottom for variety...I added the borders before it went to the machine to quilt...

I quilted all three layers together on the machine before putting together...the zig zagged the edges so they would not fray....nothing fancy I plan on using it to take to meetings so it will get rough use lol....the straps were made with interfacing 1 1/8 in wide and 22 inches long and the fabric covering them I think was about 4 inches wide by 22..turn under 1/4 inch on one long side and fold over to cover the other side of the fabric and stitch and then stitch a couple more rows for stability...

Add a facing to the top of the bag after you pin the straps in place either inside (hide the band) or outside to accent the bag...

Box the bottom  as deep as you want it on both side and finish seam.....that is as close as I can to  tell you how to make that bag....I have more scrap bags I am making with other quilt patterns and I probably wont write down instructions for them either....

I hope this helps...it was very easy to make...more later....

1 comment: