Saturday, June 14, 2014

WORKING ON SMALL QUILT FOR GRANDDAUGHTER

Yesterday I tried to organize my leftover batting...what a mess I had....big enough pieces for small quilts with leftover length....sooo I started piecing them as I found quilts to match the batting...kinda backwards huh?....well I used up 3 of those batt pieces this week...2 machine quilting and now I have a 40x50 one in the floor hoop and the center is half quilted so far...

the day is young so I might get all the center done by tonight...lots of space to quilt in but I am not getting elaborate in the center....but I may put a big feather border in the yellow and blue borders...I will know more about that when I get there....
 
The quilt above is kind  of an unusual quilt...a few years ago my granddaughter spied the fairy print (center block) in a fat quarter...she wanted a quilt made from it...I told her I didn't think there was enough...but she insisted so I tried....I ended up using almost all of it in the centers so its a quilt mostly of  borders and sashes with the colors in that little square in the center....Maybe one day she will be able to use this if she has a girl of her own....

 
I brought this one out of archives to show you...I got this top back out yesterday also...I think I am going to work on it next...it has been a challenge since day one...as you can see there are 1/2 of a courthouse step block for borders placed end to end....Marking will be a challenge to quilt them...this one will take some thought...I don't think I will ever make this one again....I had put it away twice with the last border unfinished as I could not get it to work....then one day I got it back out again and lo and behold I found the right piece and combination and it worked...I doubt I could be so lucky next time.....But I am glad I stuck with it because I like it!....till next time....more later....

1 comment:

  1. Lovely quilt in your hoop for your granddaughter and I like the one with the half courthouse step blocks. I need to try quilting by hand someday. I love hand quilting ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete