Monday, October 29, 2012

KEEP RECORDS OF YOUR WORK

Yesterday when i was wondering what to do for the day i thumbed through my 4x6 photo albums that i keep record of the things i make....no its not a brag book it is simply to record what i have done because a lot of things are a one of a kind and may not have a printable pattern to them....
this picture for instance can be a tool to work with...it is the picture of a baby quilt i made for my nieces baby...i knew the pattern i made it but i didn't remember how i put it together ...that was 12 years ago...so if i want to make another like it i would have to refer to the picture...there are items in my albums that go back over 30 years ago...

I wish i had done this years ago when i was a stay at home mom making things to sell out of my home...one item comes to mind...
smocked throw pillows were the rage in the 60's and i had a diagram to follow but i made a big mistake...i am left handed and i start things from left to right which changed e  the outcome of the smocking...well that mistake sold a lot of pillows because no one else had them like it....but i didn't take pictures of any of them so i dont remember how they looked....i still have the diagram but for the life of me i havent been able to duplicate how it did it....

There are several reasons for keeping pictures of your work...when i am depressed and down about myself i sometimes look at them and go back in time...those that were given away have a memory tied to them and at a glance i can look at the ones that i made that i still have without getting them all out of the cabinet and creating a big mess lol....

I should have even gone one step further by  adding the directions how i did an item, cost and the amounts of supplies needed but that would make me too organized and i doubt i could do that for long lol....all kidding aside its just a good thing to do no matter how involved you get with your sewing or your hobbies and something nice to pass on to the kids for them to see how you spent your time....more later....

1 comment:

  1. I have been quilting for sooo many years and have a picture of every quilt and pillow I have made. Now, I keep it all on my blog, backing it up when someone can help me. When I read this post, it hit the same nerve here...When I am stressed, I read my own blog!!! It is peaceful remembering what I have done and what will come next. Quilt therapy...

    ReplyDelete